Friday, November 26, 2010

Coming home!

Our facilitator took me to the embassy this morning just before they opened. He was not sure we would be able to get our visas as the embassy is not officially open on the last Friday of the month. I prayed and went in. Once I got to the immigration section I pushed the buzzer, not sure if anyone would be there. A man came to the window and I told him my name and why I was there. He said to take a seat, and that the visas were ready to print and the officer would call me up when done.

Honestly, I was amazed at the Lord for that. I had allowed myself to focus on our circumstances the previous day, which was Thanksgiving day, and had not felt very thankful. I fully expected to be chastised by the Lord for having such a bad attitude by finding out the visas were still not available. Instead, our compassionate and gracious God moved another mountain for us, and I was humbled. As I was waiting for the visas, I was reading scripture and was further convicted for my lacking faith in God's plan. Despite my failings, our never changing and forever faithful God chose to allow the visas to be handed to us today. Again, I am humbled and extremely grateful.

We met another adoptive family for lunch today at TGI Fridays. We very much enjoyed their company and fellowship, and will be praying for their adoption. There is something special about the adoption community, and we are very blessed to be a part of it.

I want to say something to prospective adoptive families. Keep in mind that I am not perfect (refer to second paragraph), but I feel I must say this. First, this process is not easy, but, if the Lord is calling you to it, you must set aside any of your fears and worries and follow His leading. Do not worry about finances. Do not worry about how to parent a child from hard places. Do not worry about what your friends and family may think. You must obey the calling and then watch the Lord move mountains for you. No, it will not be easy, but we are never promised an easy life. Yes, it could be a heart breaking experience, but He promises to be with us always. You may not be called to adopt from Ukraine. You may end up adopting from Ethiopia, Haiti, or domestically, but if your are called, you must answer that call. There are so very many children who need families. If I could have, I would have scooped everyone one of them up. Honestly. So many people struggle with what God's will is for their lives. Scripture is clear:

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

We will be flying home tomorrow. We are very excited to be able to tightly hug each and every one of our boys and see our friends and family again. A special thanks to Sheri's Mom and Dad, and to our good friend Tonya, who have given so much by caring for our boys while we have been here. Thank you to those who have prayed for us, sometimes even in the middle of the night. Thank you all so very much. May God bless you for your service to Him.

To God be the glory. His name is worthy to be praised! Thank you Lord for who you are, for your love for us, and you patience with me when my faith fails and I started getting wet as I look at the troubled waters rather than focus on You. Thank you Lord for all of my children, my boys, and now my girls. Thank you.

4 comments:

Healy Family said...

Hooray! The Lord IS good even when we don't see it or understand it - He is always good!!! Praying you home safely!!

Albritton Journey said...

So glad ya'll are headed home. Thanks for shar ing your heart-I needed this since we are back in Kyiv for our 3rd appointment. We enjoyed our time with ya'll!

Sandra Flach said...

Hello Fontes Family. We met you at the Embassy on Wednesday when we were picking up our Visa. We were the ones with the VERY busy little boy, Slava! We looked for you at the air port and when you were not on our plane we were concerned for you. We've been praying for you and your process and so thankful you are not home (I believe you should be home now). This is the first day I've had the chance to check your blog. Our little guy keeps us very busy. You can check out our blog for the details, but this one little guy is much more difficult than when we brought home his 3 siblings 4 years ago. But God is faithful. We continue to pray over him and since he loves music we are using that as an opportunity to fill his ears (and heart, mind, body, soul, and spirit) with some good Christian music. He is challenging our authority every step of the way, but we feel that God has declared for us to take our position of authority and that Slava will learn love. How are your girls adjusting? They are so very precious, as I'm sure you know. Blessings to you as you settle in and get into life as our Lord has called you to.
Sandra Flach

Melissa Macy said...

WOW - you returned from UKR just before we got there! Our SDA appt was Dec 6, 2010! :)

Post a Comment